Gandhi Medical College 60th anniversary
Gandhi Medical College, originally name People’s Medical College, was founded 14 September 1954. It was located at Humayun nagar close to the present-day Sarojini Devi Eye Hospital. It was founded because the original medical college in the area, Osmania Medical College, was unable to keep up with admissions for medical students. Dr. Syed Nizamuddin Ahmed was the first principal and the founder of the college.
On 25 June 1955, the college was inaugurated by the first president of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad.
By 1956, the college was in financial trouble, and the government of Hyderabad agreed to take over the college and develop it.
In 1958, the college was moved to Basheer bagh. The old building has since been demolished. In 2003, the college moved to its new premises in Musheerabad. The new facility, along with a medical college, was constructed on the area that formerly housed the Musheerabad Jail.